Thursday, July 21, 2011

Work Can Be Distracting

As I sat and struggled with Excel the other day during my "office day" I realized I am lucky to have my job, and that although I often feel like I want to be somewhere that I am not (VT or Inyo where there are "real" peaks), I really shouldn't be complaining.  
 Read the text of the photo below.  The Wilderness I patrol and monitor is very little used.  It is WILD! The bear that was walking toward me sniffing the ground the other day was a perfect example.

There are some days where I'd rather have a faster pace of life, maybe on a bike, maybe at the shores of Lake Tahoe or June Lake, and there are days I want to be with friends.  I started to finally study the GRE (I applied to UVM without this score) in my tent at night.  Each night I think of all the things I want to see and do out here. Ultimately, I feel very far from home, but I am thankful for my friends out here for keeping me occupied and distracted enough not to go home yet.  My summer will be filled with things until mid-August.  Maybe then I'll get to some things on that tick list.  

Until then, I wish you all epic swimming holes and stunning sunsets, and as always the best of times with those you care about.

Stanislaus National Forest's Sonora Pass Trailhead. Part of sign. Leads into the Carson Iceberg Wilderness. My area.

Sure these aren't the jagged peaks of the Inyo National Forest, but it's still pretty.  
The wildflowers are so distracting

The rocks to jump off of are distracting.
From Corral Valley Trail Northward toward Topaz Lake and Eastside of Sierras

Yoga is distracting.
After a days work is done, why not stretch by the river (it's a big dropoff to the river where I was)

View from our campsite/work base for the weekend... you know... distracting.

Just hiking along 


The Pacific Crest Trail is here somewhere... anybody? 
Where is the PCT ?   My work vehicle, and a cyclist going up Route 4/Ebbetts Pass

Getting the knee primed for next winter whilst debating crossing this snow while trying to not get anymore distracted.

Hiked along it instead

Silver King Creek North and Momma Bear and 2 cubs (1 visible)

Thank you Vibram 10 toes, I mean, 5 Fingers Rep for spreading the love at Mammoth Mountaineering this spring. They work awesome for river crossings. But I'd sure enjoy the ones with more fabric to keep those mosquitos away.

1 comment:

  1. Silvia-
    Don't come home yet. Wait for us to get there. Where I don't know but we are coming West-3-6 months target. Help us find seasonal work-it's all we want:(

    ReplyDelete