Friday, June 22, 2012

So... I Actually Left California- so may as well ride bikes along the way

Leaving CA

I should change the title of my blog. But yes, I left the Eastside. The Range of Light. The Eastern Sierra. It is happening. It is real. Wow.  If I'm going to leave, then I need to at least enjoy my drive to quaint New England.
I currently am wishing I owned a truck and had the whole summer off to bike and tour the West and British Columbia.  However, my knee needs a'fixin, so I'm doing a "Sampler Tour" of the West, and trying to mountain bike or bike in every stop along the way.  I'll have to go to more National Parks and do some dispersed camping on National Forest lands in the fall, unless that fire outside of Fort Collins is still going then.  Then I'll just re-route.

HIGHLIGHTS of my Mountain Biketastic Adventure in an Easterly (sigh) Direction

Parting with the Sierras and the Great Basin (I hate goodbyes) .  
I decided to meander up 395 and over Monitor Pass to the best little towns South of Tahoe... Markleeville and Woodfords. You do blink and they are gone, but oh I love them.
Mammoth Lakes Interagency Welcome Center- Where Dreams Come True
Where my love began (and my first USFS job and first job in the Sierras)



One last Mobil Mart stop 

USFS Helitack Roadside Memorial

SE toward Sweetwater Range

I will miss my Wilderness.


East Fork of the Carson River 

Sierra Pines Country Store.
I know everyone thinks Walker Burger is best, but this store has got them beat.  Local beef from Genoa.
After fishing the East Fork of the Carson River, why not and get your laundry done, get your gas, buy a disc golf and eat a burger with some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and hang out a picnic table and enjoy.

Great Basin Food Coop

Stop 1: Ogden/Greater Salt Lake/Park City, UTAH

Seeing Family and friends and mountain biking Park City (IMBA GOLD! great article on Park City   as a Ride Center)

I really could have spent a solid two weeks exploring the trails in Park City. I had wanted to visit since my trip last summer, but that was a strictly family visit and I was so tired from backpacking for work (not complaining) that I didn't bring the bike last summer. They have over 350 miles of trails close to the mountain or just off of highway 80.


I asked for recommendations from a friend that had just visited and from a Vermonter who lives there (thanks Marty and Liz!).  I will have to save Flying Dog until next time.  Either way, I set out for something with a smooth climb and some twisty, technical downhill.  The route I did was: Spiro>Eagle>Crescent Mine Grade>Mid Mountain>Johns>Sweeney Switchbacks.  That route by far isn't even putting a dent into the trails that exist.

Trail Resources: 
-A great organization exists in Park City called, Mountain Trails.  They have a great interactive map online with up-to-date trail conditions, as well as a map at the local sports shops and Information Center that is a well worth it $5 donation. My only request is waterproof map please!

I drove up 89 through Logan into Alpine, WY.  The Logan Ranger District has a beautiful river canyon there.  The Unita-Wasatch-Cache National Forest is home to 8 scenic byways.


-Utah Mountain Biking had great descriptions.
-Logan River Scenic Byway
-Unita-Wastach-Cache National Forest Special Places
Logan Canyon Scenic Byway from Utah Tourism

Bike Stop 2: Teton Village/Jackson, WY
Teton National Park, Yellowstone NP, minor hiking, and light duty mountain biking, oh and good beer!

The first two days I was in Jackson it was wet, cloudy and cold. I wore my fleece and winter hat.  Either way, the weather didn't get this blue sky state of minder down.  I let my friend pick out an easy route for ourselves and didn't take any photos.  Cache Creek was fun. Thanks for the ACL compatible tour along the famed Cache Creek, Marty G!



I did a foggy hike up Lupine Canyon area in Teton NP.  There were two groups of three splitboarders hiking down (3pm).  Only one girl.  I think after this surgery I'll re-evaluate skiing for sure.  I saw some elk down in a meadow below the trail. Back at the car, one group was decompressing next to my car.  They had a snazzy sticker for my snail (the snail box came to Mammoth via VT on a friend's trip, now it's going back with me).  So check out Chimera Splitboards. They seem like nice folk.


After a whirlwind lower loop tour of Yellowstone National Park (one bubbling pool after another...) and a stunning early AM drive through Grand Teton National Park, I biked up Jackson Hole with a patient Real Deal Matt Beal. The bike park was still closed to the public, but the berms on the way down were pretty fun.  Again, no pictures. I had to hold onto my handlebars.  I think Yellowstone is probably best seen over three days minimum, or more because the Wilderness Office in the "Grand Canyon" seemed awesome and backpacking is probably a great way to see the things the gapers don't go to.
Love the Tetons

7am hot air balloons and mule deer at Granite Canyon. The kind of trail I would run everyday if I was close.
Also, I coincidentally ran into two UMaine PRTer's that were having busy weekends in random places like Snake River Brewery and Staples. So it worked out as usual and made for a great surprise. I love running into people you want to see when you don't plan it! I HAVE to visit the "part of Wyoming that is not Wyoming", again.  He only says this because it is where most people live that aren't from Wyoming.


Trail Resources:
I was impressed with the bike from Teton Village to town to Jenny Lake in GTNP! How awesome. Here are some great resources for pathways and trails in the Tetons other than the 3 bigger local bike shops, and one smaller specialty bike shop.  The oldest one, Fitzgeralds, moved to Victor, ID:
-The Mountain Pulse Interactive Map
-Teton Valley Trails and Pathways
-Bridger-Teton National Forest
-Wilson Backcountry Sports - My friend's favorite shop is connected to a coffeeshop and offer fast and friendly service
-Jackson Hole Sports - Ask for the Deadhead in the basement
-The Hub


Bike Stop 3: Steamboat Springs, CO
Catching up with an old Subie obsessed friend, meeting new friends, checking out the BAP (Big Agnes Products) store finally,  Howelsen Hill mountain bike classics, and bike path/hot springs adventures. 

Legend...wait for it

Most mud these legs have seen since Vermont

Love

Although I was impressed with the mountain biking options in Park City and the Tetons, I didn't find Park City to be a place I can see myself.  Granted I hardly spent a day there... but Steamboat... I like it. I like it alot.  Not only are they designated Gold by the League of American Bicyclist for a Bicycle Friendly Community, but they have over 500 miles of trails in and around town.  Honey Stinger is there so stroup waffles everyday.  Big Agnes Products is there. Smartwool is there (but I prefer Ibex, sorry).  You bike down one of many bike paths to the Hippy "hot" Springs, which were not hot that day. I think Moots bikes are synonymous  with Honey Stinger jerseys in this town.  If only I were an engineer, or something else to be able to afford one.

It is the only town I've been to recently that has a full 80 page FREE guide to biking.  Granted half of it is advertisement, and it's not waterproof, but it'll get you off to a great start.




Recreation Resources:
Other than numerous local bike shops, here are some great resources for mountain biking in Steamboat Springs
-2012 Bike Guide for Steamboat Springs (my favorite!)
-Routt County Riders 
-USFS Office for the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest, Hahn Peak/Bears Ears Ranger District , 925 Weiss DR, Steamboat Springs, (970) 870-2299. Open 8-5 M-F.
-Chamber info on Bike Town USA
-Moots Cycle


Stop 4: Longmont, CO
Seeing my Northeast Kingdom  (NEK) and UMaine friends, G'Knight Ride, no Rocky Mountain NP this time, huge fire nearby.

I made a weekend stop in Longmont, CO. The "Front", or the Rocky Mountain Front Range perhaps is the more formal lingo.  I didn't mountain bike, but I rode my road bike about 20 miles. That counts, right?

 My friends from the NEK had signed up for the Oskar Blues G'Knight Ride on Saturday.  It is a family-friendly bike tour meant to get people out to enjoy the town and each other using bicycles as a medium.  With Lil' E (he's so cute) in tow, the four of us toured the streets and vast bike pathways of Longmont.  It involved two breweries and then more bike and music festivities back at the start. The Samples played. The food carts in Longmont are phenomenal. I had a traditional Argentinian meal for under $10.

We met up with my friends from freshman year of college and enjoyed the Walnut Brewery's seasonal ales, samplers (someone ordered 2 samplers and no food). I ate the buffalo fajitas. I give them 5 stars.  Did you know Boulder is the only town with a Montbell USA flagship store? It has ALL their US products in it! ALL of them!  I was good and only power-walked through the store, as everyone waited in the blazing sun for me outside.  I fondly caressed a few items on my wishlist.  I intended to go back the next day, but realized that I had some cash in my wallet, and that wasn't a good idea. Next time I'll take Barb, and we'll be in there half the day.
Tasty Weasel Tasting Room- Oskar Blues Brewery


E is ready to go. Mini-dog wearing pilot goggles in the basket.
High Fives--- A few of us biking during the G'Knight Ride

Recreation Resources:
Longmont Public Works 
Bicycle Longmont


All in all, I'd like to spend more time in each town I've been to.  I still need to get to Moab to bike, and I'd love to spend more time in Sedona.  Montana and British Columbia are on my list.  They are definitely not anywhere close to Moab.  So two more trips need to be done. The PNW and the Four Corners.

Next up in my Easterly adventures: 
Mountain biking the Mid-West.
Someone has to do it.



2 comments:

  1. Very nice site, thanks for taking the time to post some great articles.

    Mountain Bike Zion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized you left a comment eons later. I hope to bike Zion soon!
      Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete