Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Land of Cut-Off Jeans: Travels through the Mid-West into PA

Link to Photo Album of this Trip/Blog Photo Roll

This chronicles my travels through the Mid-West and ending in Carlisle, PA





Lawrence, Kansas

Wow. If I could have taken my camera out at the trailhead for the Clinton Lake mountain biking trails in Lawrence, Kansas, you would have been pleased.  Imagine a late 80s, early 90s Toyota Tacoma with a cab,  gray and peeling in all it's glory, and all the windows and back cab open.  There is no one at the trailhead except a guy with a super expensive titanium Moots bike (whoa, I was just in Steamboat).  I talk to the guy about the "White" trail versus the "Blue".  He mentioned a new "Green Trail" that he sometimes takes, but he preferred the "Blue" trail. He says he's biked Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in South Lake Tahoe and the Flume Trail before.  I get nostalgic.


White Trail, riverbed "uphill"

Slatey rocks were a technical trail feature, but another TTF, stone wall! 

mmm brown lake


Then from the tree-laden trailhead, comes a late 20s/early 30s sort of guy in respectably short cutoff jeans and a t-shirt he'd ripped the sleeves off of that had a Mountain Dew logo on it. He rides straight to his truck.  I maybe making up the logo, but it was something similar and I was so distracted that I didn't notice it or if he had a helmet on.  Apparently, I'd parked right next to the guy. So now, I'm minding my own business and getting my bike shoes on, and Mr. Cutoff Jeans Guy speaks to me in some sort of accent I'm unfamiliar with. I'd already spoken to Moots Guy, so I didn't really feel I had to do more talking, but I thought I may as well humor myself. What I really should have done, was get a photo.

COJG: "Have you rode here before? Do you know where you're going?"
Me: "Nope, but I thought I'd take the white loop."
COJG: "Oh yeah, that's a good one. A bit more technical. I duck onto the blue if I'm getting tired. You may not want to do the whole thing and you can meet back up."
Me: "Oh good, but I don't mind technical, but maybe I'll do the blue. We'll see. I'm not used to the humidity, so that maybe what stops me."
COJG: "Well, have a good time. Good thing you had someone out there to dust off all the cobwebs for you," he said with a sly grin.

I took the white loop and came back on the blue.  Thanks Cutoff Jeans Guy.  Had a great time with the Frye's! Thanks again!



Trail Tips: 


Lawrence, Kansas doesn't really have a lot of options for mountain biking, and I heard near the river where there's a trail sometimes there are suspicious men there (from friends going walking/running).  The White loop in the beginning is very slatey, and then it is only technical on downhills through dry creek crossings, and there are usually roots. The rest is very smooth.

Good local resources
Clinton Lake - Run by the US Army Corps of Engineers has several recreation opportunities (but we        wouldn't swim there) 
-Sunflower Outdoor and Bike  - I worked with someone that worked/works here
-Lawrence Mountain Bike Club - Great trail resource with maps and directions
-Clinton Lake Map from Kansas Trails Council

Columbus, OH

I did stop in Greenwood, IN for a night with an Inyo NF friend and her husband, but I didn't explore any trails or museums or anything. 

A short 3 1/2 hour drive from Greenwood, Indiana lies Columbus, Ohio.  Little did I know that humid afternoon visiting the amazing and humid Franklin Park Conservatory and outside gardens in Columbus, that I would be pedaling away on my road bike through the entirety of Columbus.  The Conservatory has amazing glass art (I lived with a glassblower this winter), and great indoor and outdoor garderns alike.  I think I liked the glass art, outdoor gardens, and Himalayan mini-village the most.  Of course there was the desert ecosystem room to remind me of the high-desert. 







jellyfish skylights

Adapted gardening



The cycling tour I received of Columbus was after a lovely "this place is you" eatery,  and was led by Matt and Michael, who know Columbus history and urban planning well. I even got quizzed about dates of buildings that existed and don't exist anymore, and questions like, "Silvia, do you remember why these bricks are a different color?".  What a great evening on the bike! Columbus is much more than I thought it was, and I do like it more now that I would have having not biked it.  We even went to the Audubon Center! 




New urbanism and downtown revival. Trying to attract more people to live in the downtown by creating recreation and open space, and ease of travel. What a great place. Also, since it is fairly flat, why not put in bike lanes and paths? In 2008, the mayor of Columbus committed to spend  $20 million to develop 86 miles of bike paths and lanes to be completed by 2012. 

                                         Resources:                       - Columbus Waterfront Revival - NY Times article
Waterfront Development - Waterfronts were typically the "backdoor" of cities. Now they are moving to the forefront thanks to great urbanism movements and dedication of residents.
Grange Audubon Center
Scioto-Columbus Audubon - Largest free climbing wall in US (bring your own gear, climb at your own risk) on their property.  Pretty cool in such a flat place.

Carlisle, PA

Although I didn't bike in Carlisle, as it has the Appalachian Trail so close, there would be plenty of road biking options near Boiling Springs.  The mountain biking was perhaps a bit North of Harrisburg, but I didn't really investigate. 



Original

What mountain PA? 
Having hiked the Massachusetts (there are mountains there) section of the AT one summer for work, I thought I better check out the Appalachian Trail Conference Mid-Atlantic Regional Office and Visitors Center.  There was no volunteer there that day, and a wedding, so I didn't get to go in.  I did get to the AT Museum however.  I do hope they can someday expand from one floor to three as in their Master Plan. 

The Appalachian Trail Museum opened in 2010, so it is still brand new, just in a historic building. It is very cool, but would be much more worth visiting if they can expand.  They had a photo archive, old hiking gear from some of the first thru-hikers, one of the first leantos, and so on. 

From their website: 

As a fledgling museum, only a portion of our space is being utilized, and of course money is a major need to develope other floors to include exciting exhibits. This year, our Fund Drive focuses on obtaining enough donations to recieve an annonymous $50,000 matching grant which would make it possible to prepare the remainder of the building to become part of the Museum.  A report, available thru this link, will(1) help to make you aware of all that we have done so far up through our second season, (2) to let you know what we are planning for next year and beyond; and (3) to ask for your continued financial support to help us manage the steadily growing costs of the Museum. Please be a part of this endeavor by sending whatever contribution you can to the A.T. Museum at 1120 Pine Grove Road, Gardners, PA 17324. after downloading our2012 donor form to include with your donation, or click on Appalachian Al below to donate online. "

Fishing. Boiling Springs, PA
AT Info:
AT Museum at  Pine Grove Furnace State Park  (Maybe some light trails to bike in PGF State Park)

No comments:

Post a Comment