Saturday, February 25, 2012

In the land of apple cider doughnuts

I used my last Mardi Gras costume contest plane ticket (thanks Rafters of Mammoth Lakes) that I won and went home to Vermont for a few weeks. I forgot my camera charger, but I did take a few photos.  I really needed Vermont time. A time to see good friends and family and new babies.  I also visited UNH and UVM to see about their Graduate programs. I almost got to SUNY Cortland.  It was fun to be in the Boston area a few days and learn I'm not so great with the train schedules, and spend time (or try to) with some great long-time friends from home and college.

Many times when I visited my parents in Southern VT, even when I lived in Vermont- I wanted to see everyone I knew and do everything I could. That is virtually impossible. Even though I had more time this visit, I still didn't accomplish seeing everyone and doing everything. Next time. 

A foggy view of the Green Mountains/ Appalachian Trail ridges from Mt. Anthony hike with Mom.
There is nothing like a room full of familiar faces to dance to Devil Makes Three with, or a the shine of skis and headlamps over a farm field in search of snow, nor the quiet solo moment of a trail run (no snow) in my backyard of the Green Mountain National Forest.  Even just sitting at home on the couch with your family and the woodstove is a rare and savored moment.

I want to explore more of the West. But I really want to dig my own dirt, and decorate my own house with art work, and hang my bikes and skis in my own garage somewhere in New England.  Someday I'm sure.  Thanks all for the great visit. Even if it was on the phone.

Nice afternoon for a hybrid 4 mile uphill bike ride to Wildstone Farm. Thanks for letting me
use your bike Dad. Note the old school backpack. It got the job done.

chickennnnsss

The dome and no snow at Wildstone Farm. Pownal, VT.

All I really came home for was the cider doughnuts...to eat them and apply to Grad school at Onion River Sports. 

The ducks walking on the river ice. Montpelier, VT

The Montpelier Valentine's Day Phantom sure knows how to place the hearts.

First flight in daylight over  Mono Lake (aside from the crappy view on my flight to Boston)

First view of the Sierras North from Mono Lake toward Bridgeport, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment