Sunday, January 2, 2011

01.01.2011: That's a lot of 1's


In reflection, I had a wonderfully blessed December 2010.  I got to go home and see most, but not all, of my favorite people ever.  I got to see Family  and friends and I am making this list mainly for my memory, but also to thank you so much for being a part of my life. Without you all I would not be who I am today.  To those I didn’t see, I miss you terribly. 

Of course no visit home is complete without seeing my family: the parental units Poppa and Momma Cassano, Grandma, Sonny, Martha, Beverly, Mike (you and Chris are the brothers I never had), Pamela and Everett, Great Aunt Palma, Aunt Tina and Uncle Meatball, my favorite uncle ever, Curt, and his kids McKenna and Canaan, and Kait’s parents (basically my 2nd parents aside).

Bestest Friends I got to see: Ms. Meaney (duh), Katherine M, Michelle J, Kathryn W., Phil, Tristan, Sarah, Kip, Jen, lil’ Indie, Paul, Kate, Andrew and his wife that hold the whole ORS crew together and I didn’t name all of you cause there are WAY too many- but who else was naughty on the ORS Santa List? haha). Amanda and Ava, Amanda and Miles and James, almost saw Mike Lincoln (way to ski at Killingtron Mike!), Heather M. and Chris. 


I didn’t get to see my favorite cousins Tootie and Brittany, or the cousins in NJ, or Kati in Weymouth or Kait in PA, Jamie (congrats on your official Catholic wedding), or Cheryl who is normally in Craftsbury this time of year, BUT someday I’m sure we’ll all reconnect in person.

So after the list, that I’m sure you skipped reading…
I had VISITORS!!! In Mammoth!

Melissa and Tim, who got married last September came up and stayed a night on their way back to Flagstaff.  We lived in neighboring cabins at Northwoods, in E.Charleston, in the grand Northeast Kingdom (NEK) of the 802 state.

Melissa and I skied Mammoth with my vouchers. I keep borrowing huge 95-100mm waist skis from work because I can. Man, yesterday was hard. I took out a wicked long G3 Zest. It was great in the powder, but we were on chair 14 and it’s all ungroomed bumps. Despite that mistake, it was so great to see familiar faces and ski together again. Melissa and I recalled that last time we skied was 2 seasons ago, at Jay Peak, when we should’ve been out early season mountain biking.  I fell in cow shit at the bottom. Just this time it was freezing as people in CA say VT is, and instead of falling in cow poo with Oh Canada for a view, we had the Minerets, Banner, and Ritter, the Whites, Sherwins, Mono Lake, and all of that good stuff that is beautiful in it’s own different way than the Green Mountains.






GMPG= T you know what that means


We did make sure Tim made the pancakes he’s known for, and relished in maple syrup Melissa was given for Christmas from her dear Dad.  It came all the way from Elmore, Vermont- Home of one of my other favorites, Rusty D.  

Here’s to a memorable 2011, no matter where you are. No coast is the best; it’s the people you meet and keep in touch with along the way.  The view from here maybe grand and the peaks are big, but that is all a minor thing sometimes.

XC ski with Amy and Steven at Tamarack day 1 of Big December Dump!




Morning sunrise from walk behind my apartment.... and....



Look at all these cards and gifts I was sent.  Most notabe is the Michael Saccio Designs “Falling Silvia-pelli” (for lack of title included in the package) possibly commemorating my big mt.bike fall this July.  Art décor in the background is courtesy of the Saccio-Shuster Munchkin Clan.  

5 comments:

  1. I love this one! My favorite part: "No coast is the best; it’s the people you meet and keep in touch with along the way. The view from here maybe grand and the peaks are big, but that is all a minor thing sometimes." I love that you're staying true to your northeastern heart. And it sounds like you had a great month! Happy New Year (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how to tell it Sista! Life is what you make it know matter what mountains you may find yourself in! Happy new year!

    GMPG for life.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Miss you TWO ! SO! MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one of my favorite posts Sil. Missing you here in the VT. No matter what mountains we find ourselves in we here the call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I'm coming back when I'm done, so we can all bike and ski and be jolly.
    and drink beer...

    ReplyDelete