Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Observations Thus Far


Silvia’s Observations from California (7800’):

- Extra Sharp Cheddar is apparently appealing in yellow (I thought that was only in the South) and they mark the label saying it doesn’t have the bad dyes in it. Idea: don’t dye it! And it does not taste extra sharp at all!
-Mammoth Lakes has its very own Ben and Jerry’s. So if I want to feel at home I just have walk by it and it’ll have that same yummy aroma
-People out here really like white trucks
-Out here it is also called “snowmobiling” not “snow-machining”. Thus concluding that Central VT is perhaps the only area that calls it “’chining”: SHEEN-IN : (pronunciation guide)
-Buy things you really need in Bishop. Bike tubes in Mammoth Lakes are $7.99, and they aren’t even the thorn-proof kind. I also forgot to get GU, CO2 cartridges and a pump, amongst other things. So when I go 30 miles South to Bishop, gas, oil changes, and bike shops are more reasonable. Unfortunately, they don’t sell neon green Onion River Sports Frisbees (which I also forgot).
-It is possible to go less than 30 mph when descending more than 1000’ by road bike
-Bear-proof dumpsters are VTer-proof as well. There is a caribiner and then a latch you have to reach under to unhook in a separate spot, thus, needing two hands
-Although the tufas are a nifty feature of a salty lake, and have a boardwalk leading out toward them, I like the Orono Bog Boardwalk better (more living things)
-I thought people in California were environmentally conscious... but I can’t even find Simple Green in the store. What is the deal? They do pay you to recycle aluminum and plastic, but it's by weight.
-Apparently you can go for a wine tasting and a hummer tour all in one. What a business plan! Who would have thought? Sign me up…
-Goodbye to composting. We shall meet again! But we do have a food grinder thingy in the sink. That’s always fun.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up - I love the cheese part. IDEA! Silly Californians. Let's see what we can do about getting you a neon green ORS frisbee.... (:

    ReplyDelete