Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bear Sighting/Skiing with Jane/Hiking McGee

well I still don't have the patience to format this. So the photos are in reverse order.
McGee Creek Hike.
Skiing in Yosemite.
Then the photo with the skis in it is Rock Creek and the trailhead we tried to ski, but ended up turning back, and after the photos is a narrative.















Bear SightingOn Monday night the 31st, I thought it was a good idea to go bike on this loop in the woods. I had no idea how long it would take. And I packed no food, clothing layer, or light (which is unlike me on a trail I don’t know). The first uphill is all sand and it was awful. The view was great, but sand… not a fan. I’d take Maine mud and roots and maybe even the black flies over sand. I was a good hour into my ride wondering if I’d make it out in time. I kept singing here and there so if there were any bears they’d here me. The wind was blowing toward me, and there was a bear down the hill off the trail. It was maybe 200 yards away. We both looked at each other with the “oh crap, what are you doing here” face and he or she turned around, kicked up some dirt and ran off. That gave me a good 20 minutes of adrenaline, until I got tired and worried I’d bonk and be in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I rounded a bend and could see town and just hoped the sandy (boo) downhill would lead me back to the campground which is behind the barracks where I live. It did. And before dark. Thank the Lord.

Skiing with Jane
On my day off, June 1st, Jane (who works at the Visitor Center for the Town) and I, went on a XC skiing expedition. It was kind of like my winter expeditions with Cheryl. We were in search of snow. I was in search of snow b/c I’ve never xc skied on June 1st. I bet Andy Newell has. The people told us you could ski up Rock Creek. You could maybe, but by the time we found the snow, we had taken our skis off. We decided to go to Tioga Pass instead. We got back in the car and drove North and up the pass, parking outside the Yosemite Gate. The park was scheduled to open that Saturday. So the park was still closed. We skied all around the meadow by the gate and avoided the ponds. It was slower wetter snow, but still pretty “glide-y” once you set a track. It was quiet except for a pack of young coyotes in the distance. What a great day.










2 comments:

  1. I love it! And I also sing to myself when alone in the woods in bear country. Hey, what camp ground do you live next to - is it Reds Meadow? Sounds like you're having a lot of fun. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live next to New Shady Rest. I'm not up as high as Reds Meadow. Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete