Thursday, June 16, 2011

Carson Valley Livin'

This is a long update...

I have started my new USFS job based out of Carson City, Nevada.  I am living in government housing about 12 miles South on US 395 in Minden.  It is the first time in 2 years that I’ve had to drive to work.   There are no bike lanes on 395.  Carson City has an active bicycle advocacy group I may get involved with. I'm somewhat tired of moving, but this whole year has been an adventure that I never planned. So I'm rolling with it, and making new friends, and missing my family and friends back home as always. 
GLORIOUS Housing behind a gate



Heading away from our Barracks going North

Looking South from Barracks

I am excited to be near Lake Tahoe and bike some new things and meet new people.  I miss my Mammoth friends and adventures, but I’m only two hours North, so I’m sure I will be fine. I had a good weekend in Mammoth climbing with Barb and her friends, and Mary and Drew. I will try to climb more next time, but I was comfortable with what I tried. I haven't really climbed in a LONG time. 

I started an “urban” garden.  I only say that because we live in the country, but we are near the storage for school buses, near the airport, near a farm, near a Christian church in the field… interesting barracks.  Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that my garden will thrive in my absence.  In the meantime, I’m excited to have one, and will come up with ways to keep it damp while I’m gone on hitches.
We live near a school bus yard. See my garden?

It is the base of the Black Mountain Hotshots. Not sure which fire most of them are on right now, but all their vehicles are out front.

I finally got my government drivers license.  It’s so funny because I remember this time last year I swore I was sticking to non-profits.  But when you wave the Wilderness Ranger card at me, it’s just too tempting.  We will see how it goes, but I’m going to take it easy with my knee. I am feeling strong. I am probably joining a gym (gasp) to keep it going well.  I am definitely going to find a chiropractor with a sports medicine person based at their office.  I think it will be beneficial since I'm you know... on my feet all day in the wilderness.  
Off-Roading Anyone?

I traveled to Mammoth Lakes to get my mountain bike and see some friends who are back for the summer.   It was a nice, yet short visit. I biked in the Lakes Basin with Emily on Sunday. 
Lake George Trailhead- Wow. Take your snowshoes to Mammoth Crest!

Lake Mary Road

On Saturday,  I finally went rock climbing more than 20’ (last summer I couldn’t go high- hurt my stitches).  It was amazing to be there with such positive people.  My co-worker, B, from Mammoth Mountaineering, and my friend’s Mary and Drew.  They all were good coaches.  I took a while, and I didn’t do the top of some of them, but I got up pretty darn high.  Next time I’ll try more, and work on footwork, but having  fun and getting back into climbing really was my goal. 
Drew and Mary at Clarks Canyon

View from Clarks Canyon TH of Sherwins

I recognized one of the other groups climbing.  Come to find out  I had met two of them at Mammoth Mountaineering during our Memorial Day Tent Sale.  They are also Wilderness Rangers, but on the Sierra National Forest on the West Side.  They had Wilderness Training Workshop Week (for lack of whatever he called it) and did all this amazing training I wish I got to do.  So I’m going to get my boss to partner up with Region 5, as our district is Region 4, and at least get the Wilderness Rangers in our District to get in on that training.  There are just 3 ish Rangers on this side of the Humbolt-Toiyabe, counting me and Sarah, and Bridgeport Ranger District. The Humboldt-Toiyabe is all throughout Nevada.  It’s a huge Forest.

Who put that Onion there?  Guilty.
I don’t know why I ever left Vermont, and I hope that someday  soon I make it back.  There are so many amazing opportunities in life, and so many beautiful things I want to see.  I’m not sure what path I am on, but as Wendall Berry once said, “If you don’t know where you’re from, you’ll have a hard time saying where you’re going.”  I definitely know where I am from, so at least I have that going for me.

Carson City thrift store had authentic Jordache with zipper and acid washed. Canadian Tuxedo next year?
Mount Rose Wilderness. Getting my hands dirty finally!   06.14.2011

2 comments:

  1. Wilderness Ranger Silvia, I LOVE your Canadian Tuxedo!!! I need to plan a visit, cuz I MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you. And those cute hotshots too. Proud of your climbing efforts, determination goes a long way!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete