Monday, December 6, 2010

ORS-sick... it happens(the dictionary definition and then some)


Word: ORS-sick
Pronunciation: /O-R-S sik/
Part of Speech: Adjective
Definition: nostalgic for Onion River Sports; missing former lifestyle, community, and way of life; pining for home, friends, family and familiar mountains; in a nostalgic condition
Synonyms: homesick, hankering, pining, heartsick, lonely, longing for home, missing, wistful, yearning
Antonyms: California,West Coast
Usage Examples:
-The girl from Vermont was so ORS-sick that she couldn't sleep at Circus Circus due to sheer excitement of her homecoming.
-She was ORS-sick because close-knit friends and communities are hard to come by.
-She was ORS-sick before she even packed her car for California.
-Inevitably everyone one gets ORS-sick from time to time.
:::::: :::::: ::::: ::::: ::::: :::::: :::::  ::::: :::::: ::::: ::::: ::::: :::::: :::::: ::::: ::::: :::::



As soon as my third plane landed, yes, the third plane... I had already been shaking my leg (like when a man has to pee) for like an hour on that plane. So that was my whole time on the plane from Cleveland to Burlingtron, City of the Future.

I arrive, and call Phil!

"Phil, you're late? How late are you going to be?"

"20 minutes"

So I go wait outside, and he's not 20 minutes late. Pretty on time actually. Thanks Phlip!

After a great night out, admiring the Church Street trees all a-glow, and a ski movie/nap later (and forgetting that one of my favorite bands, Railroad Earth was playing at Higher Ground)... I awake at Tristan and Sarah's to a dusting of Montpelier pow pow. It was beautiful, despite lacking depth. I took Odin out for a walk to the College Green where I used to go with Lucy sometimes.


To my delight, in the New England Culinary Institute hall, it looks like a church, there was a Winter Farmer's Market!!!!

"Oh my GOD! Odin! We have to go," I say to one of the coolest dogs ever. He skis and bikes with T and Sarah and is always smiling while doing it. He looked at me like he knew it meant the world to me and put the stick down and off we went.


I tied him up safely and securely outside so as he couldn't nibble anything people had when coming out of the door, but close enough where people would talk to him and admire him so he didn't feel lonely. I took one lap around and despite the fact they have an ATM there, I was determined to come back later as Gail was coming to visit from Maine via Woodstock, VT for the afternoon. Odin got complemented up and down by a lady who LOVES black labs and his patience for a Farmer's Market, ex-farming junkie such as myself.




We frolicked (believe me) back to First Ave. and reveled in the excitement of my return to Vermont, brief as it is.  There also was a church bazaar complete with music and food, and horse-drawn carriage rides too!!!



I took Gail to the Farmer's Market and I gabbed to every person I bought stuff from. That was a lot of people. And I think you all can agree that I can gab often. Aside from a handful of produce, there were meat vendors, cheese vendors, and artisans.

I bought some sausage from the farm in Plainfield, sampled some cheese from Ploughgate in Albany, VT (used to teach kids there for Northwoods), sampled tons of "Cosmos" Relishes and Jams and bought some Green Tomatoes. Bought spiral earrings from a metal smith. Last but not least I needed some Burdock Root and Nettles so I don't get sick on the airplane back to Reno. The woman selling tinctures I recognized, and she gathered and prepared the plants herself, something I want my friend in Westmore to teach me someday. Pretty awesome.

 Fine Maple products front and center

 by 1 pm (goes til 2) a lot of the produce was gone from all farms, which is great for business. 

 This relish and jam guy won a lot of awards at the Tunbridge Fair. Kind of a big deal.

 Ever eaten these? Me neither.
 told this women their cheese display was great
 hand spun and dyed
 they grow food and make soap in Vermont
 displays are looking good
nor-dork skiing anyone?
snowshoe and wax wall. clean lines.

Needless to say, I missed a craft hour with some VYCC friends (sorry). I got to go to 3 Penny Taproom with co-workers after Gail left, and one of my good good friends, K.Wrigs, went as well. Ashamed as she was for making Phil help her try on tele boots, we all had a good time. And I also realized I overbook myself, and sometimes I have to accept that I can only do so much.

As this gets longer and longer, my major revelation in this stint in Montpelier is as such:
I have such amazing friends in Central Vermont, and nothing in the Eastern Sierra can ever replace that (I have amazing friends there too). There is something to be said about the roots of friendships and a totally different sense of place and identity that Vermont crafts into a person. I think the Sierras are beautiful and have endless opportunities and of course amazing snow, but what I think I reinforced to myself, is that I love what I had and left as much as I had thought, if not more. I need it in my life. Maybe not right now, but as soon as I'm done playing... I need my Vermont roots back.


Wildstone Farm- the Dome, and Sky the Dog- Pownal, VT. Fall 2008

And between you and me, the Farmers Market on the Eastside (term for Bishop to Mammoth to Tioga Pass area) only has 1 good vendor. You can't grow anything in pumice surrounded by squirrels, black bear, and mule deer.

Check this Montpelier Winter Farmer's Market out sometime!!! Now that's what I'm talking about, liquid Gold BABY!!!!

1 comment: